Friday, February 25, 2011

Popping Snow

The temperature dropped to minus six today—the freezing point of salt water. I’d drive out to the ocean to check but my car is frozen under several inches of snow. One radio commentator noted that the snow was “popping.” I guess she meant it was making popping noises. Maybe the noises were due to shrinkage as the temperature dropped or maybe they were caused by the snow settling under its own weight. Other weather phrases I heard recently were: “the snow should end after midnight” and “snow should continue until 7 p.m.” I’m confused by the word should – I don’t think that snow is able to decide what it should or should not do – I think that decision comes with a higher pay grade. A radio caller stated that he takes an early morning walk every day (even at minus 6) by simply adding more layers of clothing and that today he was especially moved by the still clear air and the sight of the Gibbous Moon. I must admit I did not see the Gibbous Moon this morning but the caller’s description is certainly tempting. If the temperature makes it back into the 20’s again and it is safe underfoot, I will take the risk and see what nature has to offer. Please note that all temperatures are in Fahrenheit. Although the rest of the world uses Celsius, it is apparently too difficult for us to learn new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment