Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Baking a Thanksgiving Pie

I am not an especially good cook (my natural impatience prevents that) but when I see an interesting recipe, my curiosity takes over and I feel compelled to gather in all the ingredients and follow the directions to completion. Today it is Gingersnap Pumpkin Pie. The first step is to crush gingersnaps and walnuts for a crust. I have given away my rolling pin, so I roll up the cookies and nuts in wax paper, plastic bag and dish towel and attack with a hammer. This is less than satisfactory as it leaves some chunks in with the finer crumbs and the walnuts resist crumbling altogether. But it will do. The remaining ingredients (along with my personal substitutions) mix together rather well and things are progressing nicely until I realize that, of course, I do not have the appropriate pan for baking the pie. Well, I do have a round cake pan which will work. It is not until about 15 minutes into the baking that I discover that the cake pan consists of two pieces - a bottom and the side part. I have purely by chance placed a flat pan under the cake pan so the leakage is not a complete tragedy and this pie looks and smells pretty darn good. You know what, I think it is going to taste good too.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy to me, Auntie! I was working on a lemon pie this afternoon and gave my hands a real workout trying to squeeze a 1/4 cup of lemon juice - knocked over the measuring cup TWICE. Finally squeezed it directly into the mixture and had to fish out about forty-'leven seeds. Oh, the joys of cooking!

    ReplyDelete