Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The First Twinge

We all seem to avoid the topic of age. When we are young, we try not to think about getting older. Denial is a great way to deal with this issue but only goes so far. The first twinge of disintegration causes us to feel diminished as a person. Somehow we are not who we thought we were. My first big diminishment came in the form of a knee replacement. This ended a lot of my physical activities and turned me into a person with mobility problems. This was not my normal view of myself and it became necessary to reconfigure my own identity. My complaints about physical ailments arise because of this feeling of diminishment as a person. It's not that I can't accept my disability but that I feel like I am less of a person because of it. Does that make sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment